E-mail and some phone reminders
The meeting began around 11:25 am
- City Council race for 2011 starting up
- The current Council member for our district, Steve Haderlein, is not expected to run for a fourth term.
- So far two candidates have made it widely known they plan to run for the seat, Gene Masuda and Jill Fosselman.
- Gene Masuda
- He lives on San Pasqual St, is now retired, is President of his Neighborhood Association. Ran an aggressive campaign four years ago.
- Jill Fosselman
- She lives on Lambert Drive, has background in city management, volunteers with a number of non-profits, currently on city's General Plan Update Advisory Committee
- Report on Chihuihuita School monument unveiling
- On July 24 there was a ceremony to unveil a monument to Chihuahuita School.
- It was an elementary school for Mexican American kids located at NW corner of Foothill Blvd and (now called) Santa Paula Ave.
- The monument is in the south east corner of the PCC Community Education Center parking lot on that corner.
- The monument and ceremony were put together by the Pasadena Latino Forum and Pasadena City College.
- The ceremony included remarks by dignitaries from PCC, PUSD, the city, the Assembly member's representative, and the congressman. There was also an "Aztec Blessing". Refreshments followed.
- There were probably about 70 people in attendance.
- According to research by Roberta Martinez, the school was named Chihuahuita from 1916 until 1924. Then it was renamed after John C. Fremont. Fremont School is the name by which local old timers remember it.
- The school was closed in the mid 1950s after Field Elementary opened and official school segregation ended.
- The site became a continuation high school for many years.
- In the mid 1990s PCC bought the site and built their Community Education Center.
- anything else attendees wish to discuss
- recent crimes in neighborhood
- (as noted on crimemapping.com)
- Sat July 31, 3:31 am, Assault & Battery, 3100 block Alameda
- Tue July 13, 4:18 pm, Residential Burglary, 3300 block Orange Grove
Next meeting is September 11, 2010, 11:15 am, at Hastings Branch Library
Adjourned about 12:10 pm